Thursday, May 24, 2012

Memorial Day


While many are out this weekend celebrating their long holiday weekend with a trip to the lake or golf course, my heart will be a little heavy missing my hubby. These patriotic holidays are difficult when your loved one is away and yet I think of those whose loved one is gone from this earthly home. For me I think of a family from my small hometown.

I grew up in a hardworking, blue color, farming community with less the 2,000 people. We loved 4-H and FFA. We loved Friday night football games and weekend wrestling meets. In High School and Middle School we were required as band students to play at the annual Memorial Day Service. Everyone knew everybody and there were large families who were a part of all of that... the Eustice's, the Borneke's, the Jewison's, I could go on and on, but I will stop with one... The Fasnacht's. I always think of them on Memorial Day as they paid the ultimate sacrifice by losing a son, brother and husband Mike in the war in Iraq in 2005. He was only 25 years old. Our whole community morned with them.

Wherever you are this weekend, take moment to pause and think of Mike and all the other young men who died to preserve your freedom. Honor them by removing your hat and taking a moment of silence with that group of golf buddies you are with, fly your flag at half mast until Noon on Memorial Day, plant some red white and blue flowers in your garden, tie a yellow ribbon around a tree in your yard.

Do something to honor them...they did something pretty special for you.

Article written on 1st Lt Michael J Fasnacht:
http://militarytimes.com/valor/army-1st-lt-michael-j-fasnacht/907868



No comments:

Post a Comment