Monday, June 11, 2012

Guess who I've become?


During deployments we become many different things to our kids. We take on duties our spouse normally takes care of... some of them are easy to do, others not so much.

Garbage duty...check!
Take out the cat litter...check!
Dishwasher...check!
Enforcer of the house rules... check!
Cards and game player... I AM LEARNING!!!!!!!

You see, I am not real fond of board games and I really do not like cards at all so this is a big step for me. Recently I have played the Ladybug Game, Domino's, and tonight Guess Who? with my girls.

I am finding that even an extra 10 minutes alone with the girls one on one seems to make things a little better in their world, playing games is one way we are doing that. I read about doing this in a book about "coping with deployment" that I got from my local Family Assistance Center here in Brooklyn Park. 

My girls mentioned awhile ago that I am "no fun" when Daddy is gone, everything is rules rules rules. I think it really helps us reconnect in a fun way.

What things have you done to connect with your kids in a positive or fun way?

No comments:

Post a Comment