Saturday, May 19, 2012

"What you focus on is what grows."


I attended the new "Key Volunteer" training at the Airwing today. You see in the Army they have FRG's or Family Readiness Groups. In the Air Force we have a new program called "Key Volunteer or Key Spouse" program. Commanders of the various squadrons (squadrons are like units in the Army) appoint Key Volunteers to lead their vision of family support programming.

At our training today we met with Mary Sullivan who is the Director of Mental Health on base. I really liked something she said today and want to share it here...

"What you focus on is what grows."

I had a serious "ah ha" moment when she said that... if you focus on what you can't do and if you focus on the negative, you will continue to feel negative and just see the things you can't do.

My hubby has a thought about staying home sick from school or work. If you stay home, you continue to feel ill and down and lazy and won't get as much done, sometimes you need to just get up and get dressed and then you feel better. I think this goes with what Mary was talking about. If you focus on the things that make you feel bad, you will just feel worse!

To add some humor to this... Does this mean if I focus on the piles of clean laundry, the clothes will magically get clean and grow more piles for me to fold???  That being said...I think you know what I am doing with the rest of my evening.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you went through the training! I have learned so much in the past year with being a Key Spouse that it makes me wonder what the heck I was doing the previous 9 years.

    ReplyDelete